Trump Won’t Divest From His Global Business While President
U.S. President-elect Donald Trump held his first news conference (in six months) on Wednesday since being elected to the White House last year . . .
Trump said to the assembled pressmen and media organizations from around the world in Trump Tower in New York, that he’ll maintain ownership of his global business empire – saying he’ll hands off control to his two oldest sons Donald Jr. and Eric while serving as President of the United States.
With stacks of documents and paperworks adorning the table close to Trump’s podium – ostensively showing paperworks of ethics-compliance-severance-evidence from his global business empire, Sheri Dillon, a lawyer at Morgan Lewis broke down the Trump’s hands off from the Trump Organization. She said Trump would resign from all positions overseeing his hotels, golf courses and hundreds of other businesses and move his assets into a trust to help ensure that he will not consciously take actions as president that would benefit him personally.
Trump said at the press conference:
“I could actually run my business and run government at the same time. I don’t like the way that looks, but I would be able to do that if I wanted to . . .”
The Trump Organization will not enter into any new business deals outside America while Trump is president and will only undertake domestic projects after a company ethics adviser has approved them, said Dillon. According to Dillon, Trump will only know of those deals if he hears about them through the news media.
In the breakdown Trump’s first daughter, Ivanka, who will become the U.S. First Daughter, will have no further involvement in managing the organization or her own clothing brand. Ivanka Trump said on her Facebook page that she will take time off to settle her family into their new home in Washington DC. The president-elect has named Ivanka’s husband, Jared Kushner, to a senior advisory role in the White House.
Trump sold all his stocks last year and the Trump Trust will hold only business assets and liquid assets such as cash, Dillon said.
Dillon said that stripped of the Trump brand name, many of Trump’s assets will lose much of their value: “President-elect Trump should not be expected to destroy the company he built,” she said. Dillon dismissed concerns that Trump could violate an anti-bribery provision in the U.S. Constitution, known as the Emoluments Clause. That applies to gifts, but not business transactions like renting a hotel room, she said. Profits generated at Trump’s hotels by foreign governments will be donated to the U.S. Treasury, Dillon said.
The U.S. President-elect expressed his contempt for news organizations like CNN and Buzzfeed. Trump’s ire may have been provoked by a story published by CNN last night, which referenced a memo alleging that Trump may have been compromised by Russia. When CNN reporter Jim Acosta attempted to ask Trump a question Trump shut the senior white house correspondent down, accusing him of publishing fake was near fireworks at Trump’s news conference when Trump said to Acosta the CNN reporter: “I’m not gonna give you a question. You are fake news.”
Acosta made repeated attempts to have the president-elect answer a question, but Trump spoke over the reporter and referred to him as “rude.”
President-elect Donald Trump used his first press conference since July to lash out and rebuke specific news outlets for publishing reports on Tuesday regarding his campaign’s ‘dealings with Russia’ . . .
In a comment about BuzzFeed, which chose to publish the full unverified dossier of scandalous allegations, Trump called the media site, BuzzFeed: “a failing pile of garbage.” Shortly afterward, CNN reporter Jim Acosta attempted to ask Trump a question. Trump declined, calling the news network, CNN: “fake news.”
“I felt it was only fair if our news organization was going to be attacked, we get to ask a follow-up question,” Acosta said after the press conference.
Acosta said that incoming White House press secretary Sean Spicer told him if he ever “acted like that” again, he would be thrown out.
Spicer rebuked pressmen/women as he opened the Trump News Conference:
“It’s frankly outrageous and highly irresponsible for a left-wing blog that was openly hostile to the president-elect’s campaign for publishing salacious and flat-out false information on the Internet just days before he takes the oath of office,” said Spicer from the lobby of Trump Tower.
“According to BuzzFeed’s own editor, there are some serious reasons to doubt the allegations in the report. The executive editor of the New York Times also dismissed the report by saying it was ‘totally unsubstantiated,’ echoing the concerns that many other reporters expressed on the Internet. The fact that BuzzFeed and CNN made the decision to run with this unsubstantiated claim is a sad and pathetic attempt to get clicks. The report is not an intelligence report, plain and simple.”
The Republican National Committee communications director (the next Trump White House Press Secretary) pointed specifically to the line in the report that Trump attorney Michael Cohen had met Kremlin officials in Prague in August. Spicer said Cohen’s passport shows he did not leave or enter the United States in the months of August and September, confirming a report from CNN Wednesday morning that said a government source had confirmed it was a different Michael Cohen who had visited Prague.
US intelligence officials last week had presented a two-page synopsis of the classified report to President Barack Obama and President-elect Donald Trump, according to CNN and The New York Times, who cited unnamed US officials with knowledge of the meeting.
“The Kremlin has no compromising dossier on Trump, such information isn’t consistent with reality and is nothing but an absolute fantasy,” said Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for President Vladimir Putin, The Washington Post reported. CNN gave no details of the allegations but BuzzFeed published — without corroborating its contents — a 35-page dossier of memos on which the synopsis is based.
Sen. John McCain (Arizona) admitted on Wednesday that he gave the FBI a dossier detailing claims of a Russian blackmail plot against President-elect Donald Trump . . .
News reporter Carl Bernstein who contributed to a story about the dossier reported by CNN on Tuesday, said Sen. McCain was given the document by a former British ambassador to Moscow.
Trump critic Sen. McCain made the public statement as his alleged role in spreading an unverified and error-riddled document about Donald Trump. As usual, Trump denounced the dossier as “a complete and total fabrication . . . A pathetic pile of garbage”
Sen. John McCain said:
“Late last year, I received sensitive information that has since been made public. Upon examination of the contents, and unable to make a judgment about their accuracy, I delivered the information to the Director of the FBI. That has been the extent of my contact with the FBI or any other government agency regarding this issue.”
Sen. John McCain is no fan of Donald Trump as he disavowed the president-elect weeks before the election. During the presidential campaign Trump said McCain wasn’t a war hero because he was captured during the Vietnam War.
Before Trump’s first news conference in six months, he unleashed a Twitter tirade on Wednesday, denouncing as “fake news” unverified reports about a dossier that reveals salacious allegations about him – and questioning whether “we are living in Nazi Germany.”
Sen. John McCain (Arizona) | FBI
Trump twitted about 8 a.m.: “Intelligence agencies should never have allowed this fake news to ‘leak’ into the public. One last shot at me. Are we living in Nazi Germany”
“I win an election easily, a great ‘movement’ is verified, and crooked opponents try to belittle our victory with FAKE NEWS. A sorry state,” wrote Trump.
Russia lashed back against the allegations dismissing them as a “complete fabrication and utter nonsense.”
“The Kremlin has no compromising dossier on Trump, such information isn’t consistent with reality and is nothing but an absolute fantasy,” said Dmitry Peskov, a spokesman for President Vladimir Putin, The Washington Post reported.
“This is an evident attempt to harm our bilateral ties,” Peskov told reporters in Moscow. “The Kremlin does not engage in collecting compromising information.”