Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau appeared in a new video to debunk the recent Nigerian government claim that the Islamist terrorist group has been crushed and flushed out of its fortress Sambisa forest stronghold . . .
In the new video, Shekau hollered:
“We are safe. We have not been flushed out of anywhere. And tactics and strategies cannot reveal our location except if Allah wills by his decree,” Shekau said in the 25-minute video, flanked by armed fighters.
You should not be telling lies to the people,” he said, referring to Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari who said on Christmas Eve that the extremist group had been defeated and driven away from the forest, its last known bastion.
If you indeed crushed us, how can you see me like this? How many times have you killed us in your bogus death?
Our aim is to establish an Islamic Caliphate and we have our own Caliphate, we are not part of Nigeria”
— Abubakar Shekau, Boko Haram leader
It was not immediately clear where the new video was shot, but Shekau who spoke in both Hausa and Arabic said it was filmed on Christmas Day. Shekau last appeared in a video in September where he disputed a claim by the Nigerian military that he had been wounded in battle. He vowed to continue fighting until an Islamic state was imposed in northern Nigeria.
Nigeria’s President Muhammad Buhari had announced that a months-long military campaign in the 1,300 square-kilometer (500 square-mile) in the infamous forest in northeastern Borno state of Nigeria had led to the “final crushing of Boko Haram terrorists in their last enclave in Sambisa Forest”.
Boko Haram’s elusive leader Abubakar Shekau appeared in a new video published today – to dispute claims by the Nigerian President Muhammad Buhari and Nigerian army chiefs that the jihadist group has been routed and flushed out from its Sambisa Forest stronghold. Watch Shekau as he ranted in the new video published by the group on Thursday Dec 29, 2016, below: